Monday 8 November 2010

The Chainsaw (Bramble) Massacre

So I haven't blogged for a while, sorry about that guys, been waaaay to busy having fun! I'm going to break up the posts by event, or I'd be here typing for ages, and no one wants that!

So, in chronological order: Brambles, and the destruction of... 
Having finished up the apple pressing stuff for the year, it was time to start on the Forest Garden, (see here), which will be situated beyond the greenhouse and vegetable area. The fencing guy Steve had already started a cracking job putting up a new rabbit proof fence* and it was time to clear the fence down by the river ready for new fencing and planting. Unfortunately, there were A LOT of brambles and it was looking to be a big job.
John first showed me how to maintain a chain-saw, by using a hand file to sharpen the chain and how to remove, clean and replace the blade. After that, we set off across the fields, over the electric fence and over some barbed wire fence to the brambles, John with the chain-saw and me with the bramble hook. (I grew to love the bramble hook: it's got a sharp blade like a scythe and great for hacking down strands). John was formidable, (at the age of 80+) and though I found clearing away the cut brambles pretty darn tiring, I had a bet with myself that I couldn't stop until John stopped. Because, well, it's just embarrassing. We broke for lunch pretty early, and we both had a little snooze for recuperation. Then back to it. It's a pretty simple job, but physically demanding. As the light began to fade, we finished up and assessed the job. Tomorrow there's a large patch that have grown both sides so big mission to get cleared! 
When we got back, Corina, the previous Wwoofer, had called to say that she had managed to get a hitch to the local petrol station, so I went to collect her in my car, (it's times like this that I'm glad for the pootle machine to get around). After supper, John was out so us young 'uns had a movie night in front of the wood stove. Toasty! After a hard day's work and a few films, I definitely slept well that night.

The following day, it was Brambles: Round 2. This time, John had delegated Bramble attacking to Barry and myself, while Leah and Corina were on vegetable patch clearing. This time, we had not just a chain-saw, but a hedge trimmer as well. Oh yeah, these brambles were going down! And of course, safety googles, hard hats and gloves as well. We also took all the equipment we would need for the day, including petrol and oil for the machines, screw drivers and so on to take apart the chain-saw and the trusty bramble hook and the manure fork for lifting the brambles. A lot to drag over two fields, but hey, it's all about manual labour.
When it came to cutting down the brambles, we managed to do a pretty fine job. It's all about team work! I tried the hedge trimmer, but I was too weak and girly to lift it high enough to get the brambles! (oh the shame!!) But I did get pretty nifty with the chainsaw and had great fun hacking away at them all. Oh, did I mention that there were two sapling trees that had grown into the brambles as well. They were fun to cut down, and we made sure to keep the logs for firewood. Oh, and did I also mention the sloe trees? They are spiky! Not helpful when already dealing with prickly brambles. 
Oh, and did I also mention that though it was the beginning of November, clearing brambles is the sweatiest job EVER? By the end of the day, we were both lying back on the wet grass just to cool off. Maybe next time it would be an idea to bring drinks and snacks....
When we had finally finished we went to inspect the Saxon wall that Barry had been told about. It was old...and big...
There were well established trees growing through this wall and it's amazing to think how long some of these walls have been here and are still standing strong. How many of the walls we build today will still be standing in 100 years, let along longer? This is why I love traditional buildings, such as straw baled houses. Things that are built to last and far more satisfying. Having said that, temporary and transportable buildings, such as yurts are just as tempting!

Lunch time today was a delicious fresh salad accompanied by the freshest and tastiest herbal tea I've ever had. Corina and Leah had collected some fresh nettle and mint sprigs during their gardening and made a pot of tea. It was so nice to drink a real herbal tea and it resolved me to make sure that when I have a place to call my own, I shall have a working herb garden instead of herbal tea bags. (The taste just isn't the same). 

The end of the day was followed by another film night! Sometimes, it's nice to have a break from thinking as all the physical work also tires your brain as well. Though bramble clearing really is simple work, you find you are problem solving constantly, and using spacial awareness, logic, reasoning etc plus the physical side of things. That's why on evenings, it's nice to switch off a little!

***NOTE***
Rabbit proof fences: I was told by John, that, unlike previous thinking, it is not necessary to dig the fencing down deep but in fact curve the lower level away from the fence and bury it. THe rabbit will approach the fence, try digging and reach the wire far faster. It won't be able to get deep and give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment