Sunday 14 November 2010

Hosts and Hospitality


Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I have been travelling around a bit and took some time out to just enjoy the days go by. 
As you know, I left Orcheton Quay on Friday 5th Nov to head to Lewes for Bonfire Night, (see previous post). On the way there, my car got 'bumped' and so I ended up being stuck in Lewes getting it fixed. I had previously arranged at short notice to go onto a Wwoofing host nearby but due to car complications and bad weather, they cancelled on me the day I was meant to arrive so it meant that I was effectively homeless!

This is where great thanks goes to two friends in Lewes who offered me up spare rooms; Alice, who was incredibly busy at the time, let me mooch around for an extra few days, and Ellie let me camp out in her spare room from Monday- Wednesday, (and at both homes I had the company of beautiful cats: shout out to Mr. Tibbles and Mars!). I felt so grateful that I could stay. It's strange, because during university and other times, I have often stayed with friends, but when travelling,and effectively without a home, the kindness of people willing to let you share their abode suddenly becomes more significant. I think this feeling was increased with the lack of my car: I had begun to see as my 'base' and security and when it was being fixed, (by the very capable Brian at Lewes Car Body Centre: I highly recommend them) I felt a little lost.

Luckily, John at Orcheton Quay had said I was welcome any time, and since the next placement was Exeter, I rang him to beg to stay again. He was happy to oblige, so after the car had been fixed on Wednesday morning I was back on the road, to return to Devon like a bad penny.
Before that I did grab a chance to have a quick way along the South Downs Way, (link here). I did part of the Lewes to Southease walk, walking out of Kingston straight up the Escarpment and Iford Hill, (the route I took is here). I saw some beautiful views and made a new friend! The fresh air was very invigorating, and as I walked along, I realised just how quickly I have become used to being outside for most of the day, and wondering how on earth I managed for so long to be stuck inside. Being outside makes me feel more alive, clears my head, gives me space to breath deeply. It also makes me feel warmer as I am exposed to a colder environment, so when I am indoors I can regulate my temperature far better. I used to be a person who always had warm hands, though I suffered from glandular fever a few years ago, and ever since have greatly felt the cold. Since coming to Devon, I have been cold, (the frosts didn't help!) but I have not needed a scarf once and often will go outside without a coat. The wood stove at night does help warm me up, but I have noticed a marked difference. During my walk, I passed a few houses with boxes of surplus fruit, and the satisfaction of helping myself to free local produce was fantastic. The apples tasted great as well!

Returning back to Orcheton Quay was great, it has surprised me how quickly a place can feel like home. John is incredibly welcoming and having a caravan to myself is really really nice! As usual, I was shattered from driving, so the evening was uneventful: I ate food, watched a film or two, then headed to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment